Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show Comes to Andrea's Backyard!


I would have been in Oregon this past weekend for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show if circumstances all over the world were different....

I so was heartbroken to learn that the annual show was to be canceled.  I have attended every year for the past five years and can't even put into words what that event does for my soul....  It's the most amazing thing I've ever been part of!  And, unless you've experienced it, it's hard to describe it in a way that gives it even an ounce of justice.

Just like you, I've experienced one thing after another being canceled this year, to the point where there was next to nothing left to look forward to anymore.  It was so disheartening!!

I knew for my own sake I needed to do something special the day of the show, but what??  What could possibly fill the void left by the Sisters show?  And what could console me knowing that no pilgrimage to Oregon would happen this summer??

And so the idea of a Sisters-inspired quilt show in my very own backyard came to mind. 

During quarantine I photographed a number of quilts in my backyard and gained a new appreciation for it.  I could envision my quilts hanging around the yard and from the house, just like out at Sisters.

But, I think "Covid brain" had shut me down a bit, and I just couldn't make up my mind as to whether or not I wanted to take the plunge and proceed.  July weather in PA is so iffy, so I knew I would have to have a rain date.  For whatever reason, I kept dragging my feet and couldn't seem to come to a conclusion.  But finally Thursday came, and I knew I couldn't wait any longer to make a decision.  Bottom line, deep down I knew I would regret it if I didn't move forward.  And so I did.  I really wanted to do the event on Saturday, the day of the actual Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show, but the weather forecast was calling for thunderstorms.  So, it would have to be Sunday, and that would have to do.  On Thursday morning I posted a notice on Facebook and trusted that whoever was to be there would see the invitation and come.  And they did!

I soooo enjoyed getting ready for the event; it was exactly what my soul needed.  It gave me the motivation to get my garden beds weeded, and spread the pile of mulch that had been sitting in my driveway for a month.  I love entertaining, but really haven't done any kind of hosting, especially outside, in the longest time, so I was way overdue.



Sunday dawned just beautiful!  The weather forecast looked perfect.  The blue sky, low humidity, Shasta daisies, and my neighbor's stepladder and assistance in hanging a few quilts reminded me of Sisters.  My heart was full, yet ached at the same time.





I gathered and arranged flowers, made freshly-squeezed lemonade, and had fun attending to the final preparations.  



I had baked and packaged Fresh Mint Shortbread Cookies the night before.


As I was hanging the remaining quilts, the skies looked a bit threatening, but I wasn't concerned since  there was no rain in the forecast.  I continued on.  As the skies grew more omnious, I checked the weather forecast, but everything still looked just fine for my area.  I figured the rain would go around us, like it often does.



At 5:00 (the event was to start at 6:00), a friend called and said, "It's pouring here!!!"  I checked the weather forecast one more time, and it had totally changed!!!  Not only was it to thunderstorm, it was to rain the rest of the evening!  What in the world??!!

I stood in the doorway looking at the downpour that was now happening, totally dumbfounded!
What do I do?!

I figured that since all the quilts were hung, we may as well proceed, that is if the guests would even show up.  Everything was soaked, except for the two quilts hanging on the back of the house. 



My lovely Flower Girl quilt was so water logged that it fell down.  We ended up throwing it over a stepladder to display it.



My Pixelated Sunflower quilt top was totally drenched, and mulch has splashed up on the bottom of it.



And, my Kaffe quilt was sopping wet and hanging limply....



But, the most amazing thing was that just about everyone showed up!!
Not only did they show up, but they were such good sports too!



I had a pile of quilts sitting on my living room sofa that were begging to be seen, but I opted to show just a few during the break in the rain.

This Buds in a Basket quilt has a special place in my heart since I had seen it at the show on my first trip to Sisters, and knew I had to make one for myself.



The event was also a fundraiser, benefitting The Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show and the Elizabethtown Fair, two organizations dear to my heart.  $250.00 was raised, thanks to the good-hearted attendees.

I'm still bummed that I wasn't able to do arrange the refreshments on the patio like I had envisioned,  pile a large stack of quilts on the table and share them, or place flower bouquets here and there.  
And, I was so disappointed that my guests didn't get to experience the beautiful evening light in my backyard; it is truly magical at that time of the day.

BUT, I am so, so grateful that it actually happened!
I would have been heartbroken otherwise.

Had I known it was to rain, the show never would have happened.   Sometimes there are very good reasons why certain details aren't revealed in a timely fashion!

The damage to my beloved quilts?  They survived just fine.  I'll do a separate post on how we rescued the wet quilts!

Thanks to everyone who pitched in and helped out, especially Michele for taking pictures in the rain.
Enjoy the rest of the pictures!  











































3 comments:

  1. Love all the pics. Beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful show!I love ALL of your quilts! I, too, missed the quilt show terribly. Sending off a gift to SOQS in your honor.
    Hope to see you next year! Karen from Bend

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a night filled with excitement - one you'll never forget! The quilts and flowers are beautiful. Consider this a successful quilt show!

    ReplyDelete