Saturday, April 23, 2016

A Piece of Kathy



I just added the final stitches to the binding of this lovely little quilt and had to take it outside for a quick photo shoot!




All these tiny half square triangles were left over this quilt top that I had pieced for Kathy O. of Stitch by Stitch last spring.  Kathy was kind enough to let me keep the leftovers.  :)

This quilt was a labor of love, as it took FOREVER to trim all those HST units.  I honestly lost vision for the quilt because all that trimming was so tedious.  But it was worth it, even though it was a lot of hours for such a small quilt (35 x 43").

If  you haven't tried the Bloc Loc Half Square Triangle Square Up Rulers, I would highly recommend them!  They make trimming HST units so much more accurate.

 My favorite thing about about this sweet quilt is that I feel like I have a piece of Kathy.  :)  I love collaborating with her on projects.  And, a piece too of Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew, the fabric designer - I love her work! 



The layout was inspired by this quilt by Rita Hodge of Red Pepper Quilts.  
(Maybe it was the ladder that drew me in initially?!)






When it came time for the quilting, I simply stitched 1/4' from each side of every seam with my walking foot.  Again, a little time consuming, but certainly not difficult.
(I do love my Bernina for walking foot quilting!)





I really like the design it creates on the back!



The backing fabric is from Allison's Wallflower collection that came out a few years ago.  I lucked out and bought a whole bolt of it on sale for dirt cheap last summer; I was thrilled, as it makes a great backing fabric and was perfect for this quilt.





I love the binding!  I initially had selected another fabric from my stash, but decided it wasn't quite right.  Oh course, I didn't come to that conclusion until after I had machine stitched it on!  :{     I was able to order a yard of the red print on line from an Etsy shop, the perfect solution.  So, I ripped out all my stitching, removed the binding and replaced it with this print.





Thanks, Kathy and Rita (and Allison too!), for inspiring this sweet quilt!


2 comments:

  1. One of my favorites of yours to date! And honestly ... that binding - perfect!

    ReplyDelete