Monday, May 25, 2015

Nancy Virginia's Hexagons



The time has come for me to finally part with my sister-in-law's quilt!  I had finished stitching it for her back in January, but only now got around to photographing and hand delivering it to her over the weekend.

It's such a dear quilt!  And, its sweetness was so difficult to capture....  
But, here's my attempt!


Nancy stitched the hexagons out of her clothing scraps sometime between 1978 and 1986.  I offered to turn the hexagons into a quilt for her for a Christmas present last year.  



She wanted to use the quilt on her antique sleigh bed, so we configured it exactly for the bed.  We were able to fit all 13 hexagons onto the top of the double bed.  (I love it when things work out so perfectly!)



I simply topstitched the hexagons onto Kona cotton (color PDF) with Aurifil 50 wt thread (I love that thread - it blends so beautifully!), then machine quilted it with a 3-step zig zag stitch using a walking foot, giving it a vintage feel.



Here's a shot of the label (you can never have too many hexagons!).

Because I knew it was going to be hard to part with this quilt, I shot lots of pictures.
A few in my backyard:






Then, a few at my friend Linda's lovely house in town:









She's a wonderful photographer with a good eye for lighting, so I had her snap some pictures for me too:









And, a few pictures at Bryan & Nancy's home. They have a spectacular view of the mountains to the west, but we had to wait until the sun set, and by then, it was almost too dark.  


I would have loved to take a picture right in the center of this field, but that was easier said than done with the tricky lighting and the very limited time we had left to shoot some photos!

So, I was happy to get at least these shots:







This is the reason why it was hard to part with this quilt:


 Nancy's quilt has been perfectly content to lay across this chair right inside my front door since January.  Numerous friends and customers have seen it and commented on it.  I hated to part with it; the longer it remained on my living room chair, the more it seemed like it wanted to stay put.  But, it feels good to have documented this dear quilt, and to have completed my goal of finishing a quilt for each of my sisters and sister-in-law.  (Here are pictures of Renee's and Alison's from previous Christmas's.) 

Nancy, I hope your beautiful hexagon quilt gives you many years of joy!


1 comment:

  1. absolutely gorgeous! I can see why you wanted it to stay.....it's so beautiful. I love the quilting design you chose - perfect!

    ReplyDelete