Friday, January 29, 2016

In Memory of a Mother



Jessica's mom passed away unexpectedly a year ago this month.  She asked me to do something with her shirts in remembrance of her.  There were just enough t-shirts to make a small t-shirt quilt, similar to the ones I just completed for Abby and Carolyn.



I added this label to the back of the quilt to commemorate her mom.  I simply scanned the bookmark from the funeral, then printed it onto Kona Cotton with my ink jet printer.  In order for the fabric to feed through the printer properly, I trimmed a piece of freezer paper to 8 1/2 x 11", ironed it onto the cotton fabric, then trimmed the fabric to the size of the paper.  It worked like a charm!  (Probably helped that I finally broke down and got a new printer that feeds more easily!)  I then heat set it with a dry iron for about 30 seconds.

I found the flannel backing fabric and binding fabric in my stash - the colors were perfect, and the flannel makes for a comforting quilt.



I plan to upcycle the rest of her shirts into a few infinity scarves and pillows.  I'll do a similar label on them as well.

Jessica, I hope this quilt helps to keep your mom's memories fresh and alive in your heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment