Saturday, May 14, 2016

In Memory of a Mother, Part II



Ever since learning about Binding Love Scarves, I knew an upcycled scarf would be the perfect way to memorialize a loved one using their clothing.  

I had stitched a T-shirt quilt for Jessica out of her mom's T-shirts earlier in the year, but she also had an assortment of clothing in prints that Jessica clearly remembered.  These articles of clothing weren't appropriate for a T-shirt quilt, but they were perfect for this project.



To make the scarves, I cut the fabric into varying lengths that were 9" wide, then stitched them together until I had 2 lengths of pieced fabric that were 60" long.  Then, I placed the lengths of fabric right sides together, stitched along both side seams, turned it inside out, and stitched the ends closed.
(Note: the Binding Love Scarves are closer to 52", but I chose to make these a bit longer.)



I knew the scarves needed to have a label after seeing the labels on the Binding Love Scarves.  

To make the scarf labels, I simply scanned the remembrance card that was distributed at her funeral, then printed it onto Kona cotton, just like I did for the t-shirt quilt.
  Click here for the details.

I trimmed the labels with a rotary cutter using a pinking blade, and then topstitched it onto the fabric.


How special to be able to incorporate the very same shirt that Jessica's mom was wearing in this photograph!



I love that you can use a wide assortment of fabric in this project, and that every scarf will be unique.

What better way to remember a loved one than to wrap their clothing around your neck!
Hugs to you, Jessica!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet memory.......done so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting project. Well done!! Off to find out more about Binding Love Scarves...

    ReplyDelete