Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Thrift-Shop-Inspired Zip Pouch



When I opened my May issue of Country Living magazine yesterday,



... I immediately knew what my collection of funky zippers was meant to become!


I've picked these up over the years at the thrift shop.


Lots of them were simply passed on to me by friends who were getting rid of their mother or grandmother's sewing supplies.


I used this fabric for the back - I had just picked it up at the thrift shop several weeks ago!  I was thinking it was a vintage fabric, 


 ...but I don't believe it is after reading the selvage.  


However, the vintage feel and colors work!


I machine stitched parallel lines with my walking foot, 1/4" and 1" apart.


The lining is Essex Linen (love that fabric!).  To continue the funky theme, I encased the raw edges with this hot pink double fold bias binding, also from the thrift shop.  :)


Even though I still have some more zippers in my stash, I think I'm going to head back to the thrift shop!!

Click here for the link to the directions.

Note:  Stitching the zippers together was a bit trickier than I expected.  I found it worked best to baste the zippers together first; I found they slipped out of place otherwise, especially when stitching near the tabs and stops.  


Also, I whipped stitched the tabs shut on the wrong side - otherwise, they gap open between the edge of the pouch and where the zipper starts/stops.  Depending on what you plan to use your pouch for, it may not matter.

Again, not a quick project, but the fun was worth every minute!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment