Instead of doing what I was supposed to be doing, I decided to stitch some thread catchers!
This one was inspired by this photo; I loosely followed this tutorial to create my version. I used fusible interfacing on the outer fabric to give it some shape, then used boning inside the rim so it would hang open nicely. The boning wasn't the easiest to work with, but I like that it keeps it open.
To anchor my catcher to my sewing machine table, I simply needed something that would sit under my tool caddy on the table.
I stitched a piece of fabric covered cardboard to to the catcher; it seems to do the trick.
Then, I stitched these simple twin reversible, portable thread catchers. They were inspired by this pattern.
I interfaced both layers of fabric so they would have enough body to stand up on their own.
They are designed to fold flat for storage or for travel.
Love them, love the fabric!
Let me know if you're interested in a tutorial or the dimensions; I'd be happy to provide that info.
(Just so you know, once I got these stitched and out of my head, I was fully motivated to do what I was supposed to be doing in the first place - altering a strapless junior bridesmaid dress that was so big around the bust that it fell off the poor girl! After I did my part, the dress fit perfectly, and mom and junior bridesmaid were pleased. :) )