Friday, May 16, 2014

Hexie Pin Cushion



I wasn't feeling the greatest today, but had enough energy and brain power to make this Pretty By Hand-inspired pin cushion.  (Happiness is being too sick to work but not too sick to stitch hexies!)


It is a bit crazy to stitch such teeny tiny hexies together, but as any hexie addict knows, it's so satisfying!  And, Kristyne is the champion for anything handmade that's tiny!


I used this PDF Hexagon Generator to print off my 1/2" hexagon template onto card stock.  It's a handy site - you can print any size hexagon you wish simply by changing the hexagon size.  Or, you can always purchase precut paper pieces from Paper Pieces.


Stitching the sides was a bit fiddly (not sure how Kristyne managed to do such a perfect job on hers...), but it was worth the effort.  The side band is 1" wide (plus seam allowances).



The linen-looking fabric is a piece of yardage I found in my Great Aunt's attic when we cleaned out her house over 20 years ago.  It looks like it could have been used for interlining in suiting??  It definitely was used in some kind of garment construction based one the shapes that were cut out of it; my guess is that it was used in the garment factory where my Great Aunt worked.  It's a bit heavy, especially for such tiny hexies, but I really like the vintage feel it gives to the cushion.  (This yardage has served a number of purposes for me over the years, including a Christmas tree skirt and a backdrop for photos.  It would also make a great table runner on a long table for an outdoor dinner!)   :)  I'll probably use Essex Linen or Essex Yarn-Dyed Linen in the future for a similar project, but I didn't have any on hand in the right shade.

After stitching everything together, I filled it with ground walnut shells (same thing I used for these pin cushions) using a funnel, then whipstitched the edges together.   (I did however, at Kristyne's suggestion, pick up a 10-lb. bag of walnut shells in the reptile aisle at the pet store for way cheaper to have on hand for future projects.)  I really like the weight and shape the walnut shells provide. 

The yellow buttons are from my collection of vintage buttons I've picked up at the thrift shop over the years.  :)



And, as much as I HATE using anything polyester, I am a Superior Threads "The Bottom Line" thread convert when it comes to English Paper Piecing.  It's strong enough to withstand the abrasive edges of the EPP templates, it doesn't tangle, and it's so fine that my stitches almost disappear into the fabric.

Thanks, Kristyne, for your inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment