Thursday, January 30, 2014

Needle Cushions



I'm such a sucker for these vintage tart pans; I'm always picking them up at the thrift shop.  A friend recently asked, "What are you going to do with them??"  I wasn't sure, but I thought surely something related to sewing or quilting would be their destination.  And it was....


They became the base for these little pin cushions!


I'm always losing my needles in the middle of my tomato pin cushions, 
so I purposely made these more shallow than your typical pin cushion.


I filled them with ground black walnut shells.  Really, really like the weight the walnut shells add, helping to keep these little cushions in their place.


I picked up a bag of ground walnut shells at a quilt show last year, 


but did wonder why the shells are almost as expensive as the walnuts themselves!!
However, it does feel good to use a natural product that would have gone to waste otherwise.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment