Saturday, May 16, 2015

Delicious Gardenvale



Oooh, oooh, oooh - I bought this luscious fat quarter bundle of Jen Kingswell's "Gardenvale" today at Web Fabrics, a fabulous quilt shop in Purcellville, VA.  I've been eyeing this fabric online, certain I would love it, and certain it would be perfect for Jen's Green Tea and Sweet Beans quilt pattern, yet every time I viewed the fabric on my computer screen, it didn't look as appealing as I had hoped.  But, when I walked around the corner of bolts in the shop today, I was smitten!  It's fabulous!!  I was happy to purchase this complete set of her line, which also included a few extra fat quarters of the yardage prints which run selvage to selvage.  The icing on the cake was this free tote, and a $5.00 coupon for a future purchase.  :)

Green Tea and Sweet Beans Pattern Booklet by Jen Kingwell
Photo courtesy of amitie.com

I had purchased the Green Tea and Sweet Beans pattern booklet almost two years ago, and it has been my bedtime reading ever since!   I absolutely love the pattern, and am so fascinated and intrigued by the choice of fabrics Jen Kingwell used in the quilt - vintage, quirky, and bit funky - very typical of  the fabrics used by those talented Australian quilters.  Simply amazing....  I didn't see how I could pull off the fabric selection on my own.  So, this fat quarter bundle will be the lovely answer!  I'm not sure yet whether I'll hand piece the entire quilt, but an number of the blocks are quite intricate (what to you think?!) and do require hand piecing.  It will be so fun to start another long-term project!

I plan to add some 30's prints and Denyse Schmidt fabrics from my stash.  I've been studying the fabrics - every single print in Gardenvale has a bit of off white in it, so I'll keep that in mind when selecting additional fabrics.  I plan to use a lot of text prints for the background fabrics, so they will need to be in that off white/vintage range as well.

You can purchase Gardenvale from Web Fabrics, Westwood Acres (where I've been eyeing it ever since they announced it was coming!), or the Fat Quarter Shop.  All three shops carry the pattern as well.

Also, you can check out my Green Tea and Sweet Beans Pinterest Board for more inspiration!

Yummy, yummy, yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment