Saturday, January 11, 2014

Dutch Pinwheel



 I finished stitching 12 of these "Dutch Pinwheel" blocks this evening - fun stuff!  I've been wanting to make a quilt out of these blocks ever since seeing this quilt by Messy Jesse about a year ago.  


This pile of 150 or so triangles of 1930's prints that were left over from the basket quilt I had pieced last year inspired the project.  I needed another 40 half-square triangle sets, so I used this method to quickly stitch up the remaining sets.

I used my "Bloc-Loc" ruler to square up the half-square triangle sets - love it!!  It is the slickest invention.  I had purchased it last spring at the AQS quilt show, but this was the first chance I had to use it.  I'll post more about it later.


These design boards were a great help - I was able to lay out all my triangle sets, then stack the boards and set them next to my machine so I could sew away.


I was so happy with my points, thanks to the Bloc-Loc ruler.

As much as I love my 1930's prints, they do feel a bit dreary compared to the bright, clear colors that are widely available these days.  So, since I'm having so much fun with half-square triangles, I may just have to stitch up another version out of my Pam Kitty Morning  fabric stash!

:)

1 comment:

  1. Those points - perfection!!!! I need to make me one of these darling little quilts. Yours is incredibly sweet! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete