Sunday, December 8, 2013


I was cleaning up my quilt studio this evening, and decided that instead of putting this pile of strings and strips away after pulling them out and looking at them yet another time, I would finally do something with them! 
(I had purchased them from this Etsy shop a year and a half ago.)

The scraps quickly became a number of blocks similar to this one.  This is the quilt that inspired my project, and I used the same tutorial by Film in the Fridge that Kati of From the Blue Chair used.

To keep things easy, I simply used some 8 1/2 x 11"" scrap paper (from a previous job a number of years ago that I'd like to forget I was ever dumb enough to accept!), trimmed to 8 1/2" square with a dull rotary blade.

The center white strips start out at 1 inch.

Since my strings and strips were fairly narrow to start with, I decided to use a 1/8" seam allowance.

But, after this experience, I wouldn't recommend such a skimpy seam allowance, especially when needing to tear away the foundation paper.... 

This cool modern block was included in with the scraps I had purchased; I'm planning to incorporate it into the backing.

Not sure how big this quilt will end up being - the supply of fabric scraps will dictate that, although I did pull some more fabric from my stash to allow me to make a few more blocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment